“Americans face at least three interlocking sets of problems: growing inequality in access by those at the bottom to the most basic goods and services; increasing social problems stemming from the need to rebuild family, neighborhood and community; and a growing disillusion with public programs designed to address these problems” and “the crisis in support for efforts to address social problems stems directly from the failure of . . . piecemeal efforts to rebuild genuine community.” – Time Banks founder, Dr. Edgar S. Cahn
Sacred Economics traces the history of money from ancient gift economies to modern capitalism, revealing how the money system has contributed to alienation, competition, and scarcity, destroyed community, and necessitated endless growth.
Today, these trends have reached their extreme – but in the wake of their collapse, we may find great opportunity to transition to a more connected, ecological, and sustainable way of being.
This short contains some visuals from the upcoming feature doc Occupy Love http://occupylove.org
- Directed & Edited by Ian MacKenzie
- Producers: Ian MacKenzie, Velcrow Ripper, Gregg Hill
- Cinematography: Velcrow Ripper, Ian MacKenzie
- Animation: Adam Giangregorio, Brian Duffy
- Music: Chris Zabriskie
- Additional footage: Steven Simonetti, Pond 5, Youtube
- Stills: Kris Krug, NASA
- Special thanks: Charles Eisenstein, Stella Osorojos, Hart Traveller, Clara Roberts-Oss, Line 21 Media